Time Line In Photos 1868 - 2013
A large, modern school in a relaxed, rural atmosphere with a glittering history of over 143 years.
1868 - 1882 'Regentville', home of Sir John Jamison. Sir John Jamison, the founder of Regentville, donated the land on which the first school stood. This fine home was destroyed by fire in 1864. Subsequently, much of the stone was used in construction of buildings in Penrith.
School Group 1895
The picture shows Mr. Paul Taylor, headmaster with his school group. He had gained his headmastership in 1891. At this time punishment was given for "muttering when spoken to" " speaking disrespectfully" and " letting off explosives in the playground after caution". Mr. Taylor retired in 1906.
School Group 1910
Mr. John Grant, Headmaster with school group. He said of his new school " The main building is roomy and beautifully finished off."
School Group 1918
In 1913 the headmaster, Mr Thomas Sullivan, set up a vegetable and flower garden for the school. In 1914 the new classroom building was strengthened. Significant repairs were undertaken in 1916, including wallpapering of three rooms in the residence and providing gravel in front and back of the residence.
Mulgoa Road 1927
This view of Mulgoa Road is from Factory Road looking towards what is now the Glenmore Park roundabout. In 1927 the headmaster, Mr Charles Dunlop, erected a timber framed asbestos clad garage beside the residence. The residence at Regentville was in a very bad state with no common conveniences and the bathroom was in a lean-to, quite away from the residence.
Class of 1937
The years 1937-1939 marked a period of considerable renovations at Regentville School. New fencing was provided following a request from the P&C Association. The P&C Association continued to raise funds by means of euchre parties and other activities managed to bring in an income of between 10 and 20 pounds per annum.
Class of 1946
The war years left two scars on the school grounds. The fine old silky oak trees were cut down in response to a patriotic appeal and slit-trenches were dug on the hill-side as air raid precautions. From 1946 there was increased building activity in Regentville, helped, no doubt, by the extension of the water supply from Penrith. By 1953 the school population had increased sufficiently to warrant the appointment of the first assistant teacher.
Class of 1953
In 1953 Mrs Lilian Barwick, became the school's assistant teacher joining her husband Mr Ken Barwick, who had been appointed to the school in 1946. A new wooden classroom was erected in 1953 and a wash and drink block was erected in 1957.
Lower Division Class of 1968
By 1963 the enrolment had again increased and extensive additions were made as well as renovations of existing buildings. The cost exceeded 20 000 pounds. A modern brick classroom with store room and office, together with a septic toilet and wash block, ended the era of a small bush school.
Centenary Celebrations 1968
Pupils taking part in the Centenary Parade. Here they are seen rounding the corner from Mulgoa Road into School House road.
Centenary Celebrations 1968
Part of the Centenary Parade, looking across Mulgoa Road towards Factory Road and the Nepean River.
School Photo 1985
Regentville School pupils and teachers around the sundial garden in 1985.
School Photo 1993
Regentville students and teachers in front of the new school buildings which were under construction.
Regentville Public School.
The school played a major part in the organisation and staging of Torch Relay celebrations in the Penrith District during the Olympics. The culmination of this involvement was evidenced by the excellent dance item and participation of Regentville students at the celebrations in Jamison Park.
Oval and Tennis Court upgrade
Building the Education Revolution (BER) 2009 - 2010
During 2009 and 2010, the school was upgraded as part of the then Federal Government's "Building The Education Revolution". As part of this funding the school added three MDR buildings to replace the older demountable classrooms. Each MDR building housed six classrooms fully fitted out with interactive whiteboards, air conditioning and energy saving designs.
A large COLA was built over the existing basketball court, the southern teacher carpark was sealed along with play areas near the hall and landscaping work was completed opposite the canteen.
In 2013, the library received an upgrade with new shelving and a fresh coat of paint. This work was paid for by fundraising from the students and also support from the P&C.
The outside of the main administration block is being repainted with some landscaping work at the front planned for later in the year.